The Piedmont Governor’s School for Mathematics, Science, and Technology is dedicated to creating a community of learners who through a unique physical, intellectual, and social environment will explore the interconnectedness among science, math, and technology through real world applications in order to develop the necessary skills to impact society in a positive manner.
The mission of the Governor’s School is to provide a challenging, project-driven, research-based curriculum in a technology infused environment. The school is designed for gifted, high motived, and high achieving 11th and 12th grade students from Danville City, Henry County, Martinsville City, Patrick County, and Pittsylvania County school divisions.
The goals of the Piedmont Governor’s School are:
- To provide qualified participants with education experiences that promote interest in and develop skills related to mathematics, science, and technology through research-based projects
- To provide hands-on, project based interdisciplinary learning challenges in a laboratory setting that will develop critical thinking, problem-solving, teamwork, and presentation skills of students
- To provide an environment that fosters a broad exchange of ideas that promotes social, ethical, and person growth through interaction among students with diverse educational and cultural backgrounds
- To offer a well-defined curriculum that facilitates the transition from high school to college
- To promote the applicability of mathematics, science, and technology to the real world environment
- To empower staff, students, and parents to be actively involved in a collaborative, interdisciplinary process
- To serve as a resource for schools and communities