Pre K - 5th Grade
“If America is to maintain our high standard of living, we must continue to innovate. We are competing with nations many times our size. We don't have a single brain to waste. Math and science are the engines of innovation. With these engines we can lead the world. We must demystify math and science so that all students feel the joy that follows understanding."
– Dr. Michael Brow, Nobel Prize Winner for Medicine
At MCPS, we strive to spark an interest in STEM disciplines early through innovative programming that begins with students as young as pre-kindergarten. With a curriculum that is centered on project-based inquiry learning, students begin to develop critical thinking, problem-solving, communication, and collaboration skills at an early age.
Examples programs for pre-kindergarten through fifth grade include:
- Integration of NASA SEMAA (Science, Engineering, Mathematics Aerospace Academy) curriculum into science classes.
- Introduction of the Jr. FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) LEGO League.
- Integration of LEGO robotics into math and science curriculum through partnership with the Virginia Museum of Natural History.
- Participation in the STEM Mobile Learning Lab, which includes a program for students in the school day and a program for parents on Family Café nights
- Summer Enrichment through NASA SEMAA camp, robotics camp, and NASA Explorer camp