In Virginia, parents must ensure that a child attends school in compliance with the state compulsory attendance law. Home instruction or home schooling is one alternative to school attendance and parents may home school when the requirements of § 22.1-254.1 are satisfied.
Parents who home instruct must provide the school division with:
- A notice of intent to home school.
- Evidence of having met one of the criteria for providing home instruction.
- A list of the subjects to be studied for the coming year.
- Evidence of academic achievement at the end of the school year.
- August 1 - Evidence of Achievement due to Director of Pupil Personnel Services.
- August 15 - Intent to Home School due to Director of Pupil Personnel Services.