There are several ways to stay in the loop regarding school closings and delays:
- A instant alert call with go out through our School Messenger phone system. If you would like to receive these calls, make sure your phone number is correct in PowerSchool by checking with the school office. If an employee is not in PowerSchool, you may email Jessica James at email@example.com to get the information added. If you would like to opt out and not receive the calls, let the office know and you will be removed from the list.
- The MCPS Facebook page status will be updated.
- The MCPS website will have a banner at the top of the homepage that will be updated to reflect closings and delays.
- Our Weather Line will be updated: 276.403.5859.
- News outlets such as the Martinsville Bulletin online, WDBJ 7, WSLS 10, Star News, B99 Radio and BTW 21 are alerted about our closings and delays.
In the event schools are closed due to an emergency or inclement weather, employees should adhere to the following attendance codes which will be reported to the media:
- Code 10
- All 10-month, 11-month, and 12 month employees are expected to report to work.
- Code 11
- All 12-month employees are expected to report to work when safe to do so. Any 11-month employee may report and count the day as a contracted work day.
- Code 0
- No Employees are expected to report to work.
If a staff member is unable to report to work due to unsafe travel conditions on a day when Code 10 or Code 12 is announced, the employee's absence will be excused. However, he or she:
- must submit a Certificate of Absence for the missed work day, and
- must use a day of personal leave, vacation leave, or sick leave.