Parent Advisory Committee
The Special Education Parent Advisory Committee is an active and supportive group for parents of students with disabilities. The purpose for this committee is to:
- Advise the local school division of the unmet needs in the education of children with disabilities;
- Assist the local division in formulating and developing plans for improving the performance of children with disabilities;
- Participate in developing strategies and priorities for meeting the identified needs of children with disabilities;
- Submit periodic reports and recommendations to the division superintendent for transmission to the school board;
- Assist the school division in interpreting plans to the community for meeting the special needs of children with disabilities;
- Review the policies and procedures of special education and related services prior to submission to the local school board and the Virginia Department of Education (through the Annual Plan);
The Special Education Parent Advisory Committee meets quarterly on Thursday nights at 6:30 p.m. in the Community Learning Center at Druid Hills School at 746 Indian Trail.
For more information about Special Education, including the state and federal regulations governing programs for children with disabilities, visit the Virginia Department of Education website here.